Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Things I Will (Surprisingly) Miss about Ecuador


Though there are a countless number of things I will miss about Ecuador, this is a small list of the things I never thought I would miss until now:

1. The rooster that wakes me up at 4am every morning

Though the rooster next door never fails to wake me up at 4 in the morning every morning, it’s actually been a refreshing change for me. I can’t say there are any roosters that live anywhere close to my home or school. It’s actually been nice to hear such a natural sound in such a large city setting.

2. Not having a mirror in my bathroom

Though this can get annoying sometimes, it has been good for me to not have an oversized mirror in my bathroom. If I don’t know what I look like that day, how can I worry about the bad hair day I’m having?

3. Climbing the Escalinata every day

All I can say is that my legs are about the strongest they've ever been!

4. Living in a bigger city

Though I have never wished to live in a big city, it has been awesome experiencing the city-life. It’s easy to get around by public transportation, there are tons of activities going on all the time, and the city is always alive and moving.

5. Taking a public city-bus to school every day

Public transportation is actually pretty fun! And I get to people-watch, which is one of my favorite pastimes!

6. Having four hours of Spanish classes a day

Yes, four hours of speaking a foreign language can be pretty tiring, but I learned a lot, and loved the stories my teacher told us every day.

7. Having a small bedroom

Having a small bedroom has made me realize that I really don’t need as much “stuff” as I have back home. It’s simply not necessary.

8. Ecuadorian time

I can’t say I didn’t enjoy the fact that class started fifteen minutes late every day, or that our breaks between classes ended up being ten minutes longer than they should have been. I could get used to the more relaxed time schedule!

9. Spending most of the weekend with family instead of friends

Though I love my friends dearly, it’s really good to spend a lot of time with family too. I’ve realized I can learn more from them than I thought.

10. Having a hot cheese sandwich for breakfast with hot chocolate

Though I found this really weird at first, I’ve come to really enjoy my hot chocolate in the morning, partnered with a hot, melted cheese sandwich. After all, grilled cheese is my favorite food. Who would have thought the two would go so well together?

It’s been a good run. I will never forget this lovely place that I can now call mine, but as always, all good things must come to a close. United States, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment