Friday, November 25, 2011

Go Go Techno


So I have to admit, before arriving in Ecuador, I didn't really expect there to be as much technology as we have in the United States. I mean, I didn't assume the culture was primitive in Cuenca by any means, but I was still surprised to see how quickly technology has moved into other countries, especially since a good majority of it has originated in the U.S. or other powerful countries. Though I had learned a lot about Ecuador before visiting, I am ashamed to say I still had this biased perspective that a country in South America couldn't be as technologically advanced as the U.S. How very wrong I was. Two technological advances that I have particulary noticed to be the most used here are Facebook and cell phones, especially Blackberrys. There have been quite a few times in which I have been over at my Cuencan family's house and some of the younger (as in, under the age of 25) family members see me on Facebook. They literally freak out because they're so excited that someone in America could possibly have a Facebook too, which I find pretty hilarious. But the craziest part is the cell phones. Now, I guess I can't be too picky here, because back home, I am a very big texter. But my sisters here in Cuenca, who are 19 and 22 -years-old, are on their phones ALL of the time; they are constantly texting, throughout dinner, walking to the bus stop.... CONSTANTLY. I don't find there to be a problem with texting, because it really is a great way to communicate with someone quickly and easily, but when it doesn't have any end, it can be quite rude in my opinion. I guess seeing technology through the looking glass in a different country has really made me realize how important it is to take a break from the phones, computers, Facebook, etc. and just take a step back and really enjoy what's happening around you. After all, once a moment is gone, you never get it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment