Friday, November 18, 2011

Tengo Hambre


Food. Can't live with it, can't live without it. Luckily, I really enjoy my carbs, so rice and bread rolls are sufficient enough for me in most cases. Honestly, I've really enjoyed the food in Ecuador. I thought I would be a lot more picky, but I guess when you're put in a situation that doesn't really allow you to be picky, you get over it pretty fast. I've tried tuna and three different types of fish so far, which, to my surprise, I actually enjoyed (considering I'm not a seafood eater). I've also had a load of weird combinations of food. My all-time favorite was when my host-mother put a plate in front of me containing tuna salad, noodles, and rice, all stacked up on top of each other. It was such a weird combination, but surprisingly tasty. The soups here are also delicious. My family makes me fresh soup for lunch every day, and even though I've been here for seven weeks already, I'm pretty sure I've had a different type of soup every day. I don't know how they do it, or how they even know that many recipes by memory; they're all delicious too. The only thing I think I could go without is the potato wedges and scrambled eggs I've gotten for countless meals. I don't really care for either, and they seem to be served in every way with any three of the main meals a day. But the one thing I absolutely adore here and will miss dearly is all of the freshly-squeezed, homemade juices. I've had flavors ranging from orange, papaya, tree tomato, guayaba, banana-oatmeal, naranjilla, pineapple, and so many more. They never get old. It makes me wonder why fresh juice isn't more common in the United States. Oh, and the thing I will probably miss most about Ecuador's variety of flavors? Apple-flavored soda!

No comments:

Post a Comment